I said I was going to finish Madoka by New Year’s; as is I might finish it by Christmas.
I suppose it’s too bad that I knew Madoka was going to turn dark, because so far things are turning out pretty much as I’d expect, rather than what someone might expect from a show with a cute opening named Puella Magi Madoka Magica. There is one exception—
Okay, folks, this is happening.
Makoto Shinkai’s 君の名は。 (“Your Name.”) is a funny, sweet, and pretty movie. Nearly every friend who had seen it recommended it, and it’s apparently the highest-grossing anime movie ever (surpassing Spirited Away). And it’s showing in US theaters for a week. Of course I was going to go see it.
Fully no-spoiler verdict? It’s pretty good, but either you’ll like the characters and the style or you won’t. I don’t exactly know who I’d recommend it to—it’s not a deep, life-changing movie, but at the same time I did find myself rooting for the characters by the end, and I know some of my friends found it very moving.
- 2017-03-16 "Memoirs of a Student" (日本語で)
- 2017-03-03 What's the Longest Kanji?
- 2017-02-19 "Dekiru Kagiri"
- 2016-09-24 規則 (The Rules)
- 2016-03-27 "Umi no Shita Kara"
- 2016-03-12 Omen'ya
- 2016-02-08 Happy Lunar New Year!
- 2015-02-19 Happy Lunar New Year!
- 2014-03-22 Seiyū
- 2014-03-06 Red Big Ball
- 2014-01-31 Happy Lunar New Year!
- 2013-03-12 本当の大人 (Hontou no Otona)
- 2013-03-02 仕方 (Shikata)
- 2012-09-22 Blood
- 2011-08-10 Movie Review: Grave of the Fireflies
- 2011-07-24 Movie Review: My Neighbor Totoro
- 2011-02-02 Happy Lunar New Year!
- 2010-12-30 the fish who realized it was swimming in its own toilet
- 2010-04-11 Haiku
- 2010-02-14 Happy Lunar New Year!
- 2009-01-25 Happy Lunar New Year!
- 2008-05-08 Four Coolest Kanji / Hànzì
- 2008-02-07 Happy Lunar New Year!
- 2007-08-22 Mu
- 2007-02-17 Happy Lunar New Year!
- 2007-01-24 4Koma: Macworld 2007