Last weekend I went contra dancing on a date.1 It’s been a while since I’ve done any blog posts, so sure, let’s talk about that.
Contra dancing is one of those country dance styles, like square dancing, except the primary form is two long lines facing each other (hence “contra”, “opposite”) instead of four partners in a square. There’s a sequence of…moves? steps?…that make up each dance, which the main “caller” will explain up front and then call out for the first few rounds. Or as my date put it, “it’s people making patterns with live music”.
(contains spoilers for Revolutionary Girl Utena)
It’s a coffeeshop not too far from my apartment. They have tables, but they’re all full, and I’m here alone anyway, so I’m sitting in a tall chair at a bar against the wall. My laptop’s out, but I’ve got nothing to do at the moment, so I’m alternately clicking through Facebook and watching the customers go in and out.
And then a woman with pink hair catches my eye. She’s probably around my age, maybe a few years older. (But I know I’m bad at guessing ages.) Her black track jacket gives her…
There’s been a little thought experiment I’ve been asking (cis) people over the last year or so, just because it’s interesting to hear the responses:
If you woke up tomorrow with a body clearly of the opposite sex—different voice, different chest, different height and body shape, whatever—and you were going to have to go about your day like that…what pronouns would you want people to use?
- 2018-01-12 Thoughts on Sketches
- 2017-01-27 "Will I hide you?"
- 2015-11-11 "Hey, Allison"
- 2015-03-24 What's in a Name?
- 2015-03-17 Emotional Proprioception
- 2015-02-01 In-groups and Out-groups
- 2014-08-31 Ten Books That Have Stayed With Me
- 2014-06-14 Re: The Traced Portrait Project
- 2013-06-22 "Asian"
- 2013-06-09 The Traced Portrait Project
- 2013-03-20 On Creation
- 2012-06-15 Cocoa Geek
- 2011-08-31 Apology
- 2011-08-13 Slow Mental Clock
- 2011-02-15 "What's Wrong?"
- 2011-01-07 Puerile Parenthood
- 2011-01-01 Phones and Photographs
- 2010-12-29 Thinking in Color
- 2010-12-27 Relationships vs. Probability
- 2010-12-20 Movie Review: The Social Network
- 2010-07-29 Symmetry
- 2008-01-19 Science as Religion
- 2007-12-02 Movie Review: August Rush
- 2007-09-23 Sincerity
- 2007-09-11 More Song Associations
- 2007-09-03 Spontaneity
- 2007-01-27 Weird Song Associations
- 2007-01-17 A Poem
- 2007-01-14 Prologue: On Blogs
- 2007-01-11 I Am