(contains spoilers for Revolutionary Girl Utena)
It’s a coffeeshop not too far from my apartment. They have tables, but they’re all full, and I’m here alone anyway, so I’m sitting in a tall chair at a bar against the wall. My laptop’s out, but I’ve got nothing to do at the moment, so I’m alternately clicking through Facebook and watching the customers go in and out.
And then a woman with pink hair catches my eye. She’s probably around my age, maybe a few years older. (But I know I’m bad at guessing ages.) Her black track jacket gives her…
There’s been a little thought experiment I’ve been asking (cis) people over the last year or so, just because it’s interesting to hear the responses:
If you woke up tomorrow with a body clearly of the opposite sex—different voice, different chest, different height and body shape, whatever—and you were going to have to go about your day like that…what pronouns would you want people to use?
I’m finding myself surprisingly pleased by this sketch.
- 2017-01-27 "Will I hide you?"
- 2015-11-11 "Hey, Allison"
- 2015-03-24 What's in a Name?
- 2015-03-17 Emotional Proprioception
- 2015-02-01 In-groups and Out-groups
- 2014-08-31 Ten Books That Have Stayed With Me
- 2014-06-14 Re: The Traced Portrait Project
- 2013-06-22 "Asian"
- 2013-06-09 The Traced Portrait Project
- 2013-03-20 On Creation
- 2012-06-15 Cocoa Geek
- 2011-08-31 Apology
- 2011-08-13 Slow Mental Clock
- 2011-02-15 "What's Wrong?"
- 2011-01-07 Puerile Parenthood
- 2011-01-01 Phones and Photographs
- 2010-12-29 Thinking in Color
- 2010-12-27 Relationships vs. Probability
- 2010-12-20 Movie Review: The Social Network
- 2010-07-29 Symmetry
- 2008-01-19 Science as Religion
- 2007-12-02 Movie Review: August Rush
- 2007-09-23 Sincerity
- 2007-09-11 More Song Associations
- 2007-09-03 Spontaneity
- 2007-01-27 Weird Song Associations
- 2007-01-17 A Poem
- 2007-01-14 Prologue: On Blogs
- 2007-01-11 I Am